The Rose Bird Memorial Award was established in 2000 in honor of the first woman to serve as Chief Justice of the California Supreme Court, Rose Bird. Chief Justice Bird was one of the pioneers who founded CWL in 1974. She was a teacher, the first woman to serve in the California cabinet (Secretary of Agriculture). Justice Bird stood strong for her convictions and continued to champion the underdog. After leaving her position as Chief Justice, Rose Bird volunteered for the East Palo Alto Community Law Project. She died on December 4, 1999 after a long battle with breast cancer.
Each year CWL accepts nominees for the Rose Bird Memorial Award who are evaluated for excellence as a jurist and longstanding and/or groundbreaking public service and inspiration to women lawyers in California. Those eligible for consideration are from the northern portion of the State.
The Rose Bird Memorial Award is presented annually at CWL's Northern California Judicial Reception. To attend CWL's Northern California Judicial Reception please keep an eye on CWL News and Events and the CWL Calendar.
- Hon. Elizabeth Lee, San Mateo County Superior Court (2016)
- Hon. Clare Maier, Contra Costa Superior Court (2015)
- Hon. Rebecca Wiseman (2014)
- Hon. Patricia Bamattre-Manoukian (2013)
- Hon. Diana Becton (2012)
- Hon. Isabella Horton Grant (Posthumously) (2011)
- Hon. Ramona Garrett, Solano County Superior Court (2010)
- Hon. Peggy Fulton Hora (Ret.) (2009)
- Hon. Emily E. Vasquez, Sacramento County Superior Court (2008)
- Hon. Brenda Harbin-Forte, Alameda County Superior Court (2007)
- Hon. Judith Ford (Ret.) (2006)
- Hon. Alice Lytle (Ret.) (2005)
- Hon. LaDoris Cordell (2004)
- Hon. Marilyn Hall Patel, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California (2003)
- Hon. Jacqueline Taber (Ret.) (2002)
- Hon. Joyce Luther Kennard, California Supreme Court (2001)