Judith Soley Lawyer as Citizen Award
The Judith Soley Lawyer as Citizen Award was first given at the 2011 Annual Dinner to the daughter of the late Judith Soley.
Judith Soley was a longtime CWL board member who was killed by the husband of a client. She was involved in her community and in many bar organizations, including being the first female president of the Fresno County Bar Association.
This year, the Soley Award will be presented at the CWL Annual Conference to a worthy recipient who has made a significant contribution to her community, extending beyond the practice of law, to devote time and effort to the public good and values through the tradition of public service and involvement, and who exemplifies the values and missions of California Women Lawyers.
Candidates for the award are judged on the basis of the following attributes which were characteristic of Judith Soley:
- Possesses a demonstrated commitment and passion regarding civic and charitable engagement;
- Embodies the elements of being an excellent, civil and honorable lawyer;
- Values compassion and empathy along with advocacy when addressing clients individual needs;
- Works to improve the legal system through education and involvement in bar associations;
- Participates in the public life of his or her community, state and nation;
- Is a leader, a role model and mentor; and,
- Demonstrates a commitment to the missions of California Women Lawyers.